Thursday 19 December 2013

Realforce 86U Keyboard Modification

I've been trying to put a few of my keyboards up for sale. I've not been successful. Nope. None at all. Only got 1 query and after that nothing. Nada. Zilch. This is quite depressing. I know where I'm from, not many people are into keyboards. But what I'm experiencing is pretty bad. I do stuff like these all the time. I would buy and sell stuff to try them out. Usually I will be out of a little bit of money. I take that loss as some sort of rental for me to try out the product. This is expected. On very rare occasions, I can even make a little bit of profit. On the whole though, I have no problems selling. Unfortunately I can't do that with keyboards. This is turning out to be a really expensive hobby (if I can't get rid of them). Looks like that HHKB keyboard I recently ordered will be the last one for awhile.

One of the keyboards I've been trying to sell is the Realforce 86U. If I can't sell this, I'm very tempted to modify it into the silent version. Although with modification, I know its resale value will plummet even further. It may not even turn out as I expected. But you'll never know if you never try.

I intend to get some soft landing pads to modify the keycaps on the upstroke. The modification does not look to be very difficult and there is no soldering involved which is great because I sucked at it. Actually I've never done any soldering in my life! Lol. The modification will just be a bit tedious as it involves removing the bottom plate and the individual keys to insert the pad. We'll see how it goes.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment